When Germany invaded Poland in 1939, it removed most symbols of Polish
identity from stamps.
In 1939, German stamps with "Deutsche Post OSTEN" (German Post in the
East) overprinted on them were issued as temporary postage.
Pre-war (1938-39) Polish stamps with a German Eagle and Swastika overprint
were issued in 1940 for general use.
They were replaced by German "Generalgouvernment" stamps, issued from
the administrative capital of Poland (Krakow), starting in 1940.
This page is only intended to illustrate stamps issued
in Poland under German occupation. It is NOT intended to show any
approval or support for the Nazi regime which murdered millions of
Stamps (part of a set) of 1940-41, showing scenes of historic buildings
in Poland. Most shown here illustrate buildings in Krakow, except
the 1 Zloty, which shows the Palace in Warsaw.
Semi-postal issues of 1942 and 1943. The one on the right has
an overprint to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the death of Copernicus,
24 May, 1543-1943.
TO RETURN TO STAMP PAGE