After the end of the First World War, Danzig (Gdansk in Polish) was
established as a free city under the provisions of the Treaty of
Versailles. In order to reduce the influence of East Prussia, Poland
was essentially given the responsibility of Customs Inspections for the
city. Danzig issued it's own stamps, but Official Polish offices
issued stamps as well. These stamps were issued until Germany invaded
Poland in 1939. After the Second World War, the city, along with
much of East Prussia, became part of Poland.
Early stamps of the Frei Stadt of Danzig. The first issues were
German with Danzig overprints.
Later, Danzig issued stamps of their own design.
Polish issues of Port Gdansk. Most were existing Polish stamps
with "PORT GDANSK" overprints. The one on the right was among the
last issue in 1938.
Click here to
return to the main page