1952 Army Jeep back
Restoration Completed by Dave Benjamin & Dan Story
Before & After
First Car Show (1st Place)
TRUCK, UTILITY, 1/4 TON, 4 X 4, M38
The M38 was the first post-WWII jeep used by the military. It had the tough job of replacing the legendary MB/GPW. The M38 is similar to the
MB/GPW. However, it is higher, has larger "bulging" headlights, and a single piece windshield.
Engine / Drive Train
The M38 uses the same L- head "go Devil" engine as the MB/GPW. However, it is geared lower than the MB/GPW.
one piece windshield
wood blocks for windshield
front grill hinges down
battery cover bolts down (2 bolts)
Some Canadian M38 Production Facts
Ford of Canada assembled 2,135 M38-CDN. The following facts come from an article by Robert Grieve published in the OMVA CMP Magazine Issue No. 13, May 1996.
Some items to note about Canadian M38 production:
1: All Canadian M38's were assembled by Ford Motor Company of Canada in Windsor, Ontario, from February to November 1952.
2: The average cost per M38 was $2600 (the first contract of 840 vehicles cost $2807 per vehicle).
3: All vehicles were shipped from Windsor to Hagersville, Ontario to be inspected and put into military service.
4: The last vehicle produced by Ford was serial number F102135 and it was delivered on 27 November 1952 (as researched at Ford by Peter Simundson).
5 :Winches were installed and delivered on a separate purchase order program by Ramsey Winch Co.
6: All M38's were equipped with a convoy lamp installed as a field modification that was done upon receipt by RCEME [Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers].
7: Vehicles shipped by rail transport had eight tie downs installed on the frame. Vehicles shipped overseas to Norway or Cyprus had eight tie downs on the frame and also has hold down rings installed to the four spring shackle plates.